Sunday, September 1, 2013

Simple Paleo Chicken and Zucchini Dinner

   I don't know about you but when summer comes around everyone tries to get rid of the zucchini from their garden because they grow like crazy! I will get 4 or 5 people who give me about 8 to 10 of them. So, I usually stare at my counter top in awe and say "What on earth am I going to DO with all of this?!"
   So, in keeping with my eating habit of avoiding sugar, etc. I needed to find a recipe to get rid of all of those zucchini!
   I got the idea of this recipe out of a Paleo cookbook but made some tweeks of my own. My family absolutely loves this and there are usually no leftovers. Most of the time I don't have time to make really complex dinners so I try to find dinners that are super simple to make. If you're not sure what a Paleo lifestyle consists of, go here.

Ingredients

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
8 - 10 chicken drumsticks
1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
3 large garlic cloves, minced
1 & 1/2 cup fresh grape or cherry tomatoes
1 large or 3 small zucchini, cut into large chunks
Sea salt
Black pepper

Directions

~In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Season the drumsticks all around with sea salt and pepper; add to a very hot skillet so the chicken sizzles. Sear the chicken for 7-8 minutes until browned on all sides.
~Sprinkle the poultry seasoning and basil on top of the chicken then add garlic, onions and tomatoes to skillet.
~Cover; turn down heat to medium-low and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
~Add zucchini and cook for 5-7 minutes. Make sure chicken is cooked thoroughly and zucchini is crisp tender.
~Serve!

This dish can be served with a green salad mixture of romaine, iceberg and baby spinach with any added veggies you like. No sugary dressings though! Apple cider vinegar and olive oil mixture with garlic and lemon added is a great dressing.
Can also be served with cooked carrots or baked sweet potatoes. YUM!


(If you like my blog posts, please go to the right side bar and click "follow" to receive notifications when I write.  Thank you for your interest.)

No comments:

Post a Comment