Saturday, August 31, 2013

Paleo Style Lunches For Kids

   When I decided to change the way I ate, I also chose to pack healthier lunches for my kids. I didn't feel that it was fair for me to avoid sugars and unhealthy boxed foods but still buy this poison for my children. If you want to know more about my paleo diet of choice, go here.

Cucumber sticks (my daughters new favorite), peppers,
 sliced apples with almond butter for dipping, and blueberries.
   My toddler is completely on board with whatever I give him. My older kids, however, were not so happy at first. They went through a time period in the beginning where they were craving sugar ALL the time. I realized that this would happen since our bodies do physically become addicted to sugar and foods that will process as sugar.    My older kids (ages 9 and 11) still do eat processed foods from time to time. I am rarely the one that gives it to them since I don't buy it. It may be school, church, family members, etc. I've decided not to deprive them when the opportunity presents itself. I feel as long as I'm teaching them healthy habits at home and their diet is healthy the majority of the time, then I'm happy with that. They have really adapted and actually look forward to all of the fresh food and colors that make up their lunch. Foods that they would never touch before (my daughter hated cucumbers), they actually request now.


Baby carrots, celery sticks, a hard boiled egg,
strawberries, and cherry tomatoes. Easy, right?
  
      These lunches are super simple to make. It only requires a little time of cutting things up!  I do all sorts of combinations with their lunches. I'm providing a couple ideas of what I've done and plan to add more ideas as time goes on. I bought bento boxes for their lunches so that I could easily separate the fruits, meats, dips, etc. These bento containers are not necessary. You could easily buy plastic containers with dividers from your local grocery store. The reason I chose the bento boxes was that they had a centerpiece that stays cold if you put it in the freezer over night. I like their eggs and meats to stay cold. If I add homemade mayo or ranch for anything then that is something that should stay cold as well. These boxes stack on top of each other and close up to a nice size. The kids love them!

Salad with tomatoes and peppers, homemade
ranch dressing, strawberries and uncured turkey
lunchmeat with tomatoes inside.
   I try to have hard boiled eggs, cut up veggies and fruits, uncured cut up meats, etc. in the fridge all the time (not always perfect at this). It makes it much easier when packing lunches. I have the kids help with preparation as much as time will allow with school work, activities, etc.
  

   Other ideas include: homemade guacamole, salad, cole slaw, rolled up lunch meats with mustard to dip, homemade ranch for dip for the veggies, soup in a thermos, bananas with almond butter, raisins,  pea pods, cinnamon cooked squash, and many, many more. Any different combination will work and variety is key. As I said, I will add more as time goes on and I get more pictures.
  Once you're done filling the containers, stack them on top of each other then close the locking lid and Voila!
   Now, my next venture is to get away from those poisonous plastic containers! EEEEK!!!



(If you like my blog posts, please go to the right side bar and click "follow" to receive notifications when I write.  Thank you for your interest.)

No comments:

Post a Comment